[Sidefx-houdini-list] Rendering Solutions... Any suggestions

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 09:17:38 EDT 2011

Phil, do you mean hardware or software?

I used GridEngine when I was at NCCA, worked like a charm, but as Lars
says, needs a bit of interface love :)

Hardware we still render internally on HP render blades. Remote
rendering is pretty hard due to the file, plugin, shader and other
dependencies required. Usually more work than it's worth to try to use
a "cloud" solution. Also, security of data (for us) is a big issue, so
sending things out of house would violate contracts etc...

I remember when I was there the students' workstations were not part
of the farm, we double our farm size at night when the artists go
home, though I realise "students" and "going home" aren't phrases you
hear together often :)

Cheers,
Peter B

On 28 April 2011 04:52, Lars van der Bijl <com48com at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here at Realise we run on the sun grid engine. (6.2r5)
>
> the interface is really bad and it's completely un-user friendly but it's
> free, rock solid and command line based. we had to develop our own viewing
> system on to so users can manage there renders (MSc project ??)
>
> if your budget fits nothing and you have machines. it's a good way to go.
>
> Lars
>
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Phil Spicer <PSpicer at bournemouth.ac.uk>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Our RenderFarm here at the NCCA has died, and we are looking for
>> alternative Render Solutions for the next academic year. Preferably it would
>> be something we could lease on site, or we would lease time on the Amazon
>> EC2 Compute Cloud.
>>
>> I was wondering what people were using in Industry, and if anyone had
>> suggestions or information about what solution works best.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>
>> Phil.
>>
>> Philip Spicer
>> Programme Coordinator - MA Digital Effects
>> National Centre for Computer Animation
>> Bournemouth University - UK
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/user/NCCADigitalFX
>>

>> This email is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed and may
>> contain confidential information. If you have received this email in error,
>> please notify the sender and delete this email, which must not be copied,
>> distributed or disclosed to any other person. otter
>> Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not
>> necessarily represent those of Bournemouth University or its subsidiary
>> companies. Nor can any contract be formed on behalf of the University or its
>> subsidiary companies via email.

No, I am not on Facebook.