[Sidefx-houdini-list] Python modules scope in Houdini

Graham Thompson captainhammy at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 22:11:48 EDT 2011

They aren't really shared.  The main namespace is the one accessible
from the Python Shell windows and is the one setup when you do things
in the pythonrc.py file.  Parameter expressions, tools, parameter
expressions and callbacks use different namespaces.  For example, the
parm expression one by default does an 'from hou import *'.  Most
don't have anything special though.  In order to use things out of the
main namespace you need to have the following  'import __main__' and
then call '__main__.mymodule.myfunc()'.  This works from all the other
namespaces.

Some more details, mainly for parameter expressions but applicable to
things such as Python modules or other event handlers:

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/hom/expressions#id190985