[Sidefx-houdini-list] cam clipping planes through in viewport limits

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Fri Apr 1 11:23:20 EDT 2011

On 03/31/2011 06:50 PM, Dan Schneider wrote:
> When just consulting the person who was havign the issue, he seemd to think it
> was actually 0.01 But, either way... is there a hard cutoff? And what determines
> it? I did the test in build 11.0.575 I have never encountered this before but
> honestly Im not too sure I ever thried to bring anything quite that close.

In 11.0.582 the absolute near/far limits were removed. Now the limits
are determined entirely by the ratio between far/near. Near will be
increased if the far/near ratio is greater than 1e7. So, as long as the
far plane is 1000 or less, you'll be able to get a near clip of 0.001.

Otherwise at larger far/near ratios, the OpenGL depth buffer precision
is greatly affected and you'll get incorrectly overlapping surfaces at
medium to far distances. This is because the Z buffer value is a
quantized, non-linear 1/Z value.

Cheers,
M.