[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, I love/hate you.

Dan Schneider eyevex at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 14 20:53:33 EDT 2010

about  jacob original post about dealing with the code vs art via right vs left
brain or however you want to phrase it  ...

I have often run in the question at SIGGRAPH and elsewhere when meeting fellow
CGers of "are you an artist or a programmer" and when answering "both" get
strange looks or a degree of dismissal as you must be on or the other.  I really
think art is about concept and manipulation of a particular medium to achive the
idea envissioned. Code is just a means to the end.  If you are painting on a
canvas you are still using the tools at hand to forfull vision. You may stumble
around the image abit when you use a new brush or go from oil to acrylic or
whatever, and for many using houdini at first has this stumpling affect. The
code is another brush in the arsenal, one that you may have not had to use
before, and although you may be able to use brushes you have before (like menus,
icons etc..) there are sometime when for proficiency or just capability only the
new brush (code) will make sense.

Dont get too distraught. If you are pressing a button to make a sphere or typing
it into the textport -- you are still creating the same sphere. The differance
is largely you have much more experience with coordinating the thoughts and
mouse/eyes to accomplish with the button, although you may never seek or get to
equal experience or proficiency with the code, if you keep at it, when you need
that brush eventually you can focus on what you are painting again instead of
what you are painting with, at least to the degree where that tool is required.
Mixing the two ways of thinking does take some practice, but will definately
result in greatest proficency.

One can never avoid all code entirely, it would be like working as a roofer and
hoping not to deal with wood. You may not directly or on a day to day basis
laying down the roof tiles, but the house is made of wood, and so is literally
what you are standing on, so its acknowledged that eventually you might have to
deal with wood in somecapacity, just not to a degree a carpenter does, or the
construction workers dealing the framing --they come in when the main focus
becomes that building material instead.