[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, I love/hate you.

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Tue Sep 14 08:25:34 EDT 2010

I feel the same about Houdini sometimes. I started to learn Houdini 5
years ago and guess what, I'm still learning. Even though I agree you
don't have to write a line of code to do amazing things in Houdini, you
may have to think as a programmer because when you work inside vop
you're doing programming. Even in sop... well for me it's just a piece
of data where you add custom attributes and you alter at each step with
a different function (Sop node) by modifying its parameter.

One big problem I find for someone who is new to Houdini is not only
that it forces you to really understand 3D and maths but also because
it's missing a lot of basic tools, especially for particles. I've rolled
my owned for 2 years and my to do list is growing faster than the number
of tool I create.

I'm under the impression every studio has its set of custom tools that
make them proficient.

This said, what I suggest is to find a job as an FX artist and not TD
where you'll have access to many nice tools that make your life easier
and you will learn a lot from other people. Otherwise, don't give up and
keep asking questions on forums and watch tutorials. If it can encourage
you, I still find it hard to play around in Dop :)

François