[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, I love/hate you.

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 02:48:49 EDT 2010

I agree, I think there is an emphasis, an over-emphasis, on "doing
things procedurally" when in fact, the only thing that matters is
"doing things" to get your shot done.

I remember coming out of Imagine, Lightwave and then Softimage 3D into
Prisms. I never got Prisms, ever, though through good luck and Jeff
Wagner's (emailed) help I could sometimes make some images.

Once I saw Houdini things made more sense, but it still really took me
6 months before I even understood things, and 2 years until I could
really count on myself being able to deliver images "as expected" out
of Houdini.

I then spent a long time trying to do everything procedurally, so that
each and every thing I did was fully modifiable with one parameter
upstream. That was before I went into production, where the _only_
thing that matters is delivering your shots on time at a very high
level of quality.

Slowly, for quite a few years now, I've been divesting myself of the
"must be procedural" mindset.

Having said that, I still try to do things procedurally whenever I can
in the same amount of time, but that's mostly because that's how I
still think :)

I think the keyframe example is a fine example: If you understand
keyframes, and that gets your shot done, use keyframes. Next project,
maybe you'll use a simple expression instead, which would be faster to
modify if you needed to. But maybe not, and that's fine.

IMO, stick with it, and one day your brain will turn the corner! Until
then, do what works for you and gets the shots done, not what you feel
others feel is "right."

HTH :)

Cheers,

Peter B