[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, I love/hate you.

Alex Czetwertynski alex at franktheplumber.com
Tue Sep 14 01:57:37 EDT 2010

Wow, for some reason that code snippet cut out the bottom of my email...

What I was saying is that that piece of code could translate into two keyframes, and that you would be no less of an artist for using keyframes instead of Hscript.  You might be less of a TD, but it doesn't seem like that is what you are after.

The most important thing is for you to focus on is what effects you want to create, and then play around with the tools, learn different techniques, and don't get hung up on approaches that rely on things you don't understand, there is bound to be a different way, in between VOPS, CHOPS etc...

If there is something you want to do that involves fluids, yes, you will have to learn how those networks work, but with time and perseverance, you will get there.

One thing you can't around is very deep strong knowledge of the principles of 3d.  I never really needed to know about bounding box, centroids or normal directions when I was dealing with other 3d apps, they kind of kept it under the hood for me.  With Houdini that stuff is essential.  I don't know where you learn all that, I wish I did, but in my experience it is all about following tutorials and reading posts here and elsewhere, asking questions,and just spending time with it.

Good luck!

Alex