[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, I love/hate you.

Alex Czetwertynski alex at franktheplumber.com
Tue Sep 14 01:46:19 EDT 2010

Hey Jacob

I hear you.  Houdini is definitely a tool that works for people who's brain can bridge the gap between the technical and the artistic.  It takes time or a strong inclination to be able to fully master it (if that is even possible)

However I would suggest you remember something about this program, and it applies pretty much to any well designed piece of software IMHO : there are many ways to skin a cat.

First off, it is not because people here and in other forums try to find the absolute smartest, most procedural way of doing a certain thing that you HAVE to do it like that.  You can approach the same problem from a different angle.

A probably somewhat trivial but practical example is, say, a Sine/Cos type motion.  You might not remember how to write it in Hscript or how to apply some noise to it or what SOP to apply it to.  Not a problem, just do it with CHOPS where you won't need to write a line of code.

There are a lot of examples where  people will use a simple expression but in fact you could have added a few keyframes to the same effect.
"if($FF<2,1,0)