[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini, I love/hate you.

jacob fisher jacobfshr at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 23:13:06 EDT 2010

Dear Houdini,

I try to love you, but you make it so hard.
I just can't wrap my head around you.

You do amazing things and I love the fact people can get so much out
of you, but the only thing I ever get is frustrated.

I went into graphic arts because I don't work well with text and
programming.  I like to see things and manipulate them that way.

I have ideas I want to express, but I spend hours searching through
help files not getting myself closer.

I took a course in college that made me really appreciate Houdini, but
since then, I've been struggling to get much farther.

I want to get better at fluids and particles, but I spend hours in
what seems like a data and coding hell for me.

I've previously tried Digital Tutors when I had a subscription, but it
never really helped my understanding.
Real Flow made a lot more sense to me right away, but it didn't seem
to have the potential of Houdini.

So I guess in this long winded vent, does anyone have suggestions of
what I should do, someone who doesn't have a gift for code, to get
better at fluids/particles and Houdini in better?

You have no idea how many emails I get on this list that I just stare
at without really understanding what to do.
I want to belong, but I feel like everyone's kid brother that gets the
door slammed in his face when his older brother's friends come over.