[Sidefx-houdini-list] Reduce L-system to one primitive

Robert Kelly isstuff at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 11:51:31 EDT 2010

I went to the troubble of making a system for just this. It was far from
trivial! I stated by choosing the start primitive then looping as i grew the
selection going from primitive to point selection, allong the way recording
the step number. This way i could deal with the branches in the order they
connect.

as i type this I know i will miss steps there were so many....

Then i looped through each branch based on there connection to the previous
branch. converting the branch that comes before to a nurbs curve then
carving it to the place where the next branch should attach to find the
location of the first point of the next branch then moving the first point
to that location, before moving on to the next sibling of that branch,
untill all are done for that parent. Then down the generations.

Needless to say i got good at dealing with for loops. This project took way
longer than expected. I was trying to generate a nice poly mesh that would
subdivide well after this step so this forced me to tweak it allong the way.

I think there were 4 for loops in it.

Enjoy the challange

Sent from my phone without any spell checking!