[Sidefx-houdini-list] Reduce L-system to one primitive

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 07:54:09 EDT 2010

Thanks andrew and  Francois.
What I did finally is to detect those points with more than 3 points
connected, origins of branches, apply a color to them to detect them
later, after the convert, after the convert create a group of points
using the previous color and snap them using fuse.
It did the job.
But unfortunately, because I have loooots of lsystems, it is really
time consuming, so I have to stick with polygins.
Would be good that l,systems would have an option to output NURBS
curves rather than polygons, sometimes is useful.

2010/9/8 Andrew D Lyons <tstexture at gmail.com>:
> Yep. Probably what you want to try is to create a custom attribute per
> branch in your L-system rules. With each branch able to be isolated
> via some kind of a partition into a group, you can loop over all the
> groups and consolidate points, and possibly even fit a curve to the
> branch using local interpolation mode (curves only). Convert back to
> polygon after that.
>
> Also, is it not possible to get the desired shapes from your rules?
> That will provide the most organic results.
>
> Cheers
>

> 2010/9/8 François Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca>:
>> You cannot convert to nurbs a curve that has other curves coming out of
>> it like branches. Maybe you can try using the PolyWire Sop followed by a
>> Subdivide Sop.
>>
>> Or, after you have converted to nurbs, you can snap the root point of
>> each branch to the nearest point on the curve using expressions. I'm not
>> sure of these but have a look at "pointdist".
>>
>> François
>>
>> Pablo Giménez wrote:
>>> Hi all.
>>> Every  new branch in a L-system is a new primitive.
>>> I want to convert my lsystems to NURBS to get a roundness look without
>>> lots of points, the l-systems will be later rendered as hair.
>>> Problem is that becasue it has several primitives when converting to
>>> NURBS branch's origin point has an offset.
>>> So I need to convert the whole lsystem to just one primitive a polygon
>>> curve so I can later pass it to NURBS.
>>> I have been trying with the JionSOP but no luck so far, seems is
>>> designed to work with surfaces.
>>> Any ideas???
>>> Thanks

Un saludo