[Sidefx-houdini-list] Maya as a Houdini Modeling tool...

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 00:22:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 7, 2010 at 2:41 PM, Frederic Servant
<frederic.servant at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am looking specifically to integrate Qt's mainloop and Houdini in C++, in
> the way done with PyQt or any other way

I wish I could tell you. I've only done it from the Maya side of things,
and that was before they switched over to using Qt as their main
widget toolkit.

The key there was to add a callback to the "idle" event messages from
Maya to run off to the Qt widget, and process any events there. The
downside, of course, was that a Qt app could be starved of cycles,
if Maya was busy, and vice-versa -- if the Qt app didn't return for a
significant amount of time, then Maya would lose responsiveness.
For "trivial" UI work, that's an okay trade-off, since people are generally
only in need of one, or the other.

Anywho... perhaps that might get jumpstart some ideas for you...

> BTW Qt is not just about UI, there are many handy classes in there.

Agreed. I was going to chime in with the same thing.

Cheers,
Ammon