[Sidefx-houdini-list] plugins in HSITE path are not loaded

Dan Bethell danbethell at gmail.com
Wed Sep 1 10:27:09 EDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:15 PM, katrin schmid <Katisss at gmx.de> wrote:
> hi,
> our deploy system is supposed to append to paths,
> i wouldnt bet on it... anyways HOUDINI_PATHS does.

I think this is a bit of a gotcha on the Houdini side (at least on
Linux). I've found that even though a variable might have a default
value (as reported by hconfig) the variable quite often doesn't exist
in the environment setup by the houdini_setup scipts. Presumably if
Houdini can't find an envvar it creates it with the defaults
just-in-time when Houdini is run.

So, if you want to append to something like HOUDINI_DSO_PATH you may
need to explicitly create it (with the defaults) in your env
beforehand.

For example,
# set to defaults
export HOUDINI_DSO_PATH=@/dso_^:@/dso

# now we can safely append
export HOUDINI_DSO_PATH=${HOUDINI_DSO_PATH}:/here/is/my/dso/path

cheers,
dan