[Sidefx-houdini-list] What should the $JOB variable point to?

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 15:17:08 EDT 2010

It kind of depends on how many people are working on a given task, and with
what software. Houdini is always going to set it to be the traditional root
of the Houdini task directory tree which was always (since back in prisms
days) the directory that contained:

hip/
pic/
chan/
map/
geo/
scripts/
ifd/

Nowadays it might also contain:
otls/
sim/

Whatever happens you will always want $JOB style variables to point to
something under the SHOT directory. If it's just you working on a task,
having $JOB pointing to the default Houdini $JOB directory (see above) will
be fine. If there are others, you might want a seperate variable that points
higher. If you are using apps other than Houdini you might have a different
directory structure again, and want a  variable to point to that. It all
really depends on the production size...

Cheers