[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linear Workflow

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Tue Oct 26 11:31:46 EDT 2010

On 10/26/2010 11:01 AM, Edward Lam wrote:
> I see. Well, I would be personally against adding such a feature to
> texture(), preferring the ability to handle 8-bit images as sRGB
> transparently (like Nuke by default?). Does anyone actually
> intentionally produces 8-bit linear images?

There are cases where precision isn't needed, but the data is not color
data (alpha, st coords, even Z-depth), so a local override is always
required for any global setting. You can't assume that fp16 and fp32
color is always stored in linear (or log) space either. By default, a
local control would be set to 'Use global setting', (a global setting
currently doesn't exist for textures).

Any texture() color correction would need to happen on the source image
upon import into Houdini/mantra, and not the post-filtered pixel(s). The
difference becomes much more apparent with more complex color
corrections. This is generally true for loading any image file.

Cheers,
M.