[Sidefx-houdini-list] Linear Workflow

John Coldrick jc at axyzfx.com
Tue Oct 26 10:40:12 EDT 2010

On Tuesday 26 October 2010 09:18:37 am Edward Lam wrote:
> On 8/27/2010 6:58 PM, Robert Kelly wrote:
> >  this sounds like a texture input vop that has a sRGB to linear
> >  convert toggle like Peter Bowmar described is a really good idea. Or
> >  maybe you just have every image viewer / editor working in linear
>
> This is something that has been simmering in my unconscious that I had
> meant to point out before. A toggle to that does an sRGB to linear
> texture conversion in your shader won't give you correct results in
> general.

	I was under the impression that this process would be done 'invisibly' to the
user, i.e. it's strictly a convenience.  So if I had that hypothetical toggle
enabled, the convert would happen and then at *that* point everything
continues as if the now-linear image had been on disk in the first place.  Are
you referring to issues of tracking where that new image is...and memory
consumption issues, etc.?  Because I can see that being something to consider.

	I think this whole issue of dealing with sRGB is a pain everywhere, about all
one can ask for are methods that make handling it as fast and smooth as is
possible.  It's so bloody ubiquitous.  Even things like having a File COP
letting you state the colorspace of the incoming image so it can convert to
linear(a la nukie) would be awesome.  Yes, there are methods in place to let
you do it, of course, but I think it's more of a speed/ease issue.

	Cheers,

	J.C.

---
John Coldrick