[Sidefx-houdini-list] FBX import, no geometry

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Wed Oct 13 11:06:45 EDT 2010

yeah, our issue last time unfortunately was not simply reversed normals.
It was an issue of the vertex normals not converting correctly.

Robert explained it my better than I can so I'll include his reply below

---
If the model has vertex normals set up in Maya then you can export the
model to Houdini as an FBX file and it will come in with those normals
intact. Now Houdini's viewport does not support vertex normals and you
wouldn't be able to see them except the FBX importer automatically
throws down an edge cusp node that only cusps edges from the model that
have sharp edges.

You can actually throw this edgeCusp node away and the File SOP will
bring the model in with Vertex normals as attributes. The model will no
longer look cusped in the viewport but since Mantra DOES support vertex
normals and it will render fine. Note that if you add extra sops after
the File sop then the vertex normals may be compromised therefore this
assumes that you don't want to do very much in sops after it is
imported.

Obj does not support vertex normals properly - they come in but they are
mangled when you render. FBX is the way to go. Viewport support for
vertex normals is on our radar but for now support for vertex normals in
Mantra is there if you can take advantage.

Robert

-------