[Sidefx-houdini-list] HOM evaluating wildcards in a parameter

Graham Thompson captainhammy at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 17:18:52 EST 2010

There is some pattern matching available but mostly just through
various glob functions.  There is a hou.Geometry.findPointGroup() but
that only searches for exact names, not wildcards.  What you can do in
Houdini 11 is use the new inlinecpp functionality and write a quick
wrapper around UT_String::MultiMatch.  If you look in the help docs
the first example shows this.  You can then use a loop to process
strings, group names, etc, and see if they match your pattern or not.

http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini11.0/hom/extendingwithcpp

For point groups:

geo = hou.node(some_sop_node).geometry()
pattern = "*stuff ^thingstuff"
valid_groups = [group for group in geo.pointGroups() if
mymodule.matchesPattern(group.name(), pattern)]