[Sidefx-houdini-list] POP's: best way to threshold particle emission based on an point attribute

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Mon Nov 15 20:28:58 EST 2010

Me too I prefer to create my emitter in sop. The advantage is that you
can see your emitter points and normals (which are then used for initial
velocity in pop) as Rangi stated. Also, when you apply noise on  scatter
points, it is a lot more precise than a noise on a surface from which
the emission on surface will interpolate from.

The disadvantage is the speed so I almost always bake raw points with
the number of substep I plan to use. I do that locally and even if it
takes me 3 minutes to bake, after that I usually don't need to do it
again since most of my changes are on the emission noise on density,
normal length and orientation and this doesn't have to be baked to be
fast since I do that in vop.

François