[Sidefx-houdini-list] lit fog query

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Fri Nov 12 11:10:02 EST 2010

yeah, I can confirm having success with this technique on a project
fairly recently.

I believe it was a box SOP with an isooffeset SOP appended to that,
set to fog volume.
Not sure if this is handled more directly by a shelf tool now.

We then used the billowy smoke material on that object and got pretty
good results.

In our case we needed to animate a blossoming eclipse type of effect,
so we did use some
animated mask geo ( in front of the light ) to generate z-depth maps
to direct the light rays as needed.

Renders were longer but it did give us more control over the look and
quality of the final results.

Larry