[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Fri May 28 13:39:31 EDT 2010

On 28 May 2010 10:02, Jeff Wagner <jeff at sidefx.com> wrote:

> If "X" seems to have been working up to now, why can't we make "X" work
> going forward? No really? What's so bad with "X"? Can't we just hire a
> programmer to fix what we have?
>
> lol!

This seems to be the definitive mistake of almost every existing studio that
tries to scale up to make feature animation.

Lets see how many analogies we can come up with to illustrate this. Lets
start with some transportation analogies:

"I have a tricycle. I can ride up my driveway. Why can't I ride it into
Town?"
"I have a bike. I can get to the shops. Why can't I ride it to the next
town?
"I have a car. Why can't I drive to the next continent?"
"I have a plane. Why can't I fly to the moon?"
"I have a space shuttle. Why can't I rocket to Andromeda?"

Lesson to learn? Hubris + naivete = suffering (and a 50% chance of failure)

Cheers