[Sidefx-houdini-list] clean transforms

Jeff Wagner jeff at sidefx.com
Fri May 28 12:01:24 EDT 2010

I use pre-transforms quite often but in rigs only.

I would not recommend that you channel reference any Transform channels
on an object in a character hierarchy. Use Rivet Object or hscript
expression functions (known as constraints in other apps):

vtorigin()[0], vtorigin[1], vtorigin()[2] to grab x, y and z translates
vrorigin()...
origin()...

These will return the real world position relative to any other object
in the network regardless of pre-transforms.

One reason why pre-transforms exist is that in heavy rigs with thousands
of nodes, using nulls just to locate other objects does indeed have a
memory overhead (something like 15k...) so using pre-tranforms reduces
the memory footprint and efficiency to a degree.

Pre-transforms don't make much sense outside of char and prop rigs as
Alex mentioned.

One issue in all of this is if you somehow introduce non-proportional
scales buried in a pre-transform. That really can screw you up something
good in any rig in any software. I have a tool where I select two
objects and it returns the transforms to get from one to the other. It
flags any objects that have a non-prop scale in the pre-transform or the
scale parms.

-jeff