[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

Pablo Giménez pablogipi at gmail.com
Fri May 28 05:54:30 EDT 2010

2010/5/28 Marc Horsfield <march at blackginger.tv>

> yeah, there are some people out here doing a similar thing (animated
> feature on
> windows). Recently one of their servers went down because someone plugged a
> usb
> stick with a virus into their workstation.... bam!
>
> And yet the resistance to linux out here is still amazingly strong. I just
> don't
> understand it.

 Ihave been thinking about this for years also, but finally I understand
that no matter your product is good or no you have to sell it, and Linux us
really bad on this side.
The perception of many people is that linux is clunky and you need "special
skills" to manage it.
Ok we users of Linux and UNIX in general knows that for our environment
Linux is not clinky for our needs probably windows is more closed and hard
to use for some tasks than Linux.
But for the boss, this is a different thing.
The main two reasons because I have seen studios using windows are:
- The use the unnamable 3D Studio Max
- And the best one, they put as a CTO someone who has never use any UNIX
flavour, only windows
And in this sceneario is rally hard to sell to the company why you have to
use Linux, or you change your CTO orr change the applications you use.
But I dont wnat to forget tosay one of tghe things I really hate about
Linux: it's community.
Well, not all the community of course, but this fanatical community that
unfortunately has so much power in the Linux world which is one of the
culprits that in these days we still don't have a well defined Linux
standard. And this is real hurdle in Linux addoption.
The miriad of ditributions, file systems hierarchies, gcc versions and
librarias, desktops, drivers .... Is a big problem in a company environment.
I have always think that if we would have a standard runtime (binary)
environment in Linux, things would be a lot easier.
Ok my last part of this post probably is comoplitely off-topic, just my 2
cents about the Linuxworld

> "There really is no getting around Houdini and Unix for a lean startup in
> my
> opinion."
>
> I concur wholeheartedly.
>
> Cheers
>

> Andrew D Lyons wrote:
> > Hi Marc,
> >
> > I'm familiar with a studio who's founding tech management people decided
> > they could make feature animation films with windows and Maya. We all
> know
> > that the amount of infrastructure required to use Maya in a large
> production
> > can get pretty out of control - because automation and pipeline
> interfacing
> > is difficult in the first place, and it does not leverage the file system
> in
> > any of the useful ways that we take for granted. If you're used to to not
> > leveraging the file system though, it's not such a leap to imagine that
> you
> > don't need the file system at all, and that windows is therefore Ok. Did
> > this work out in the end? In my opinion and that of many others -
> absolutely
> > not. It was disastrously expensive. The amount of python/Qt
> infrastructure
> > required got totally out of control, and was never finished. If however
> you
> > asked one of the young artists that is comfortable with Maya on Windows
> "was
> > it a success?" - they would probably say no as well - because they just
> want
> > to save out a playblast and a Maya scene file at the end of the day, and
> > instead they had to cache geometry and do other pipeline type things that
> > every artist hates to do at big studios. My point being - it can be done
> -
> > but only at tremendous expense, and everyone will be miserable about it
> the
> > whole time anyway.
> >
> > There really is no getting around Houdini and Unix for a lean startup in
> my
> > opinion.
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> > On 27 May 2010 01:48, Marc Horsfield <march at blackginger.tv> wrote:
> >
> >> Have we gone through this whole discussion just to come back to the
> point
> >> of
> >> "Use linux, it's easier"? Seems like it to me :).
> >>
> >> windows + no automation = good luck with that?

> >> resistance to
> >> massive
> >> shell. At
> R+H,