[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Wed May 26 12:45:29 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Marc Horsfield <march at blackginger.tv> wrote:
> We investigated something like this here since there was, uh.. resistance to
> linux at first, but it seems like all you end up doing is replicating a massive
> amount of functionality that comes for free with the shell.

Absolutely. But at the same time, it's far easier to control than the shell. At
one point, I rewrote a significant chunk of the shot-setting code at R+H, and
it's a byzantine collection of scripts, made that much worse by having the
studio standardized on tcsh (bash or zsh would have made things much
simpler).

FWIW, I even automated the "set shot" system at R+H, so that you could
log out, log back in, and all of your shells would reset themselves to the
shots they were in when you logged out. Consequently, after the first time
the artist set their shells up for their shots, they didn't even have to re-do
the "set shot" junk. (KDE + Konsole + DBUS for the win!)

> And even if you eventually reach that point, you're still a little bit hampered
> by the interface that you've built. Unless, of course, your interface looks
> suspiciously like a shell ;).

Nah... just provide a menu option for "open shell here." You can have your
cake, and eat it, too. :)

Cheers,
Ammon