[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:53:09 EDT 2010

So tab/enter works as "send" in gmail. Awesome for coders... Let me try and
finish that email so it makes sense:

<INTENDED-EDIT>
;)

You can put some cool data (and related methods) such as your current shot
in a python 'pipe' object and monkey patch it to the hou module on startup
(456.py). Unfortunately environment variables in Houdini don't hook into
os.environ - so you still pretty much need a unix shell to set those as
persistent values for each session - or find a way to use Houdini
environment variables. For instance you can set $SHOT as a Houdini
environment variable, and then access it in python with a python method
like:

def hou.pipe.getShot():
    return hou.hscript('echo $SHOT')[0].rstrip()

You can then build other paths from that. This would allow you to do away
with a shell, and do things like change $SHOT, and all related paths in the
middle of a session. That would be cool. $JOB kind of does that I guess. Of
course any solution that involves Houdini variables has the risk of baking
of values into hipfiles. That can cause inadvertent problems. Also, $JOB
gets auto-set at times by Houdini which can be bad.

Houdini loves automation - and this stuff is good for that. Everyone loves
environment variables - but python provides alternatives these days...

Good luck!

Cheers

</INTENDED-EDIT>