[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:42:04 EDT 2010

;)

You can put some cool data (and related methods) such as your current shot
in a python 'pipe' object and monkey patch it to the hou module on startup
(456.py). Unfortunately environment variables in Houdini don't hook into
os.environ - so you still pretty much need a unix shell to set those as
persistent values for each session - or find a way to use Houdini
environment variables. For instance you can set $SHOT as a Houdini
environment variable, and then access it in python with a python method
like:
def hou.pipe.getShot():

called  You can . If you (or SESI) could cobble together a breed of
environment variables (houdini custom variables containing expressions that
returned values like $SHOT from the os.environ dict  perhaps?) you could do
away with a shell, and do things like change $SHOT, and all related paths in
the middle of a session. That would be cool. $JOB kind of does that I guess.

Cheers