[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

Ammon Riley ammon.riley at gmail.com
Tue May 25 21:16:07 EDT 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 3:35 PM,  <Sean.Lewkiw at cis-vancouver.com> wrote:
> I have to second these sentiments.  Anytime you let the artist use their
> "creativity" in naming files and organizing directory structures,

I'm not sure he was arguing for allowing the artist control over those,
so much as if you make it simple, the artist won't have problems, and
won't need to deal with a "set shot" type of system. If that's true
(which experience has repeatedly shown wrong), it still ignores the fact
that even with a simple structure, automation can remove the need for
an artist to think about such things far more than "keeping it simple" can,
and one of the first steps towards automation, is being able to set/reset
and determine states: set shot.

> you can count on 10x the work downstream trying to figure out what
> the heck was going through their head during their career-long tequila
> break.

Sometimes it's not hard to figure it out. My favourite example of all
time was the file naming scheme where the number of "fuck"s in the
name increased with each saved version. Quite easy to tell what's
going through his head, especially when you correlate it with the
time-stamps marching from early evening to early morning. Now,
whether or not you could match that up with the rendered files
each one generated, is another question.

Cheers,
Ammon