[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow inwindows!??!! (WTF)

c.p.brown cpb at snotbubble.com
Sun May 23 19:40:43 EDT 2010

hmm... It seems like a rather awkward way of coping with artificial
problems beyond your control.  Like having to work with a labyrinthine
directiory structure, having to put version numbers in all your
filenames, dealing with departments or having to log everything with
an accounting system.  Is this correct?

If you have the luxury of complete control over your work (which I'll
concede many do not) then this kind of pedantic systemization is
showing-off at best, work-avoidance at worst.
Directory structures can be simple to avoid variables & asset trackers,
versioning discarded (as backups and time/date stamping come for free),
departmentalization of files discarded and script dependence kept to a
minimum.
If you work simply like this then file management is totally a non-issue,
sharing work is a matter of communication (as it should be), restored
work won't be broken and you can concentrate on making pretty pictures
however you see fit.
Its also much cheaper and efficient as you can wholly staff your team with
income-generating artists instead of having to hire support staff, have
artists devote time to data-entry or having to waste time (and possibly
talent) on a diciplinary procedure for artists who take shortcuts.

Exercising your own brains in optimizing work, per shot, is far less
robotic
than conforming to a system.

-cpb