[Sidefx-houdini-list] advice on a "set shot" workflow in windows!??!! (WTF)

Robert Kelly isstuff at gmail.com
Sun May 23 18:20:07 EDT 2010

what i ended up with is...
one node called shot master that....
# sets hip vars for the shot dir, geo dir etc.
# holds scripts and information to name renders ifd's create
directories for them as they are needed
# saves parts of my scene in "shot assets" that are otls that are just
parts of the scene saved into a hda so it can be loaded and visioned
independently.
# manages the saving and loading of the "shot assets" so more than one
person can share parts of the scene.
# manages the cloning of the shot assets, so you can be working in
shot 0450 and need the asset SH_0300_FIRE and the set from shot 0200
that is saved in the asset SH_0200_SET. this tool will duplicate the
assets but with the correct naming and types to belong to the shot
0450.
# colouring shot asset nodes to show if they are up to date, the
system wont force you to update your shot assets so you can go back to
an old file and it will still render the same. then you could update
to the latest animation and have the old look on the new animation.

Inside the shot assets there will be some HDA tool that is used on
many shots so the smart asset stuff is still being used inside the
frailly simple shot assets which you can think of as externally saved,
version able subnets.

I cooked this up between shots and it has really saved our ass more
times than we know because we know when we are using the correct
version of an animation asset or a camera asset. Our renders get saved
now using information about the shot mixed in with the mantra rops
name, preventing render naming errors.

I look forward to adding the features that i think it needs for the
next version, once this project is over.

Any time you are behaving like a robot that is probably a good place
for automation, a script will do it predictably each time you may not.
Then you can get back to making cool stuff in staid of being a robot.

Robert.