[Sidefx-houdini-list] Best Linux distro

Van Aarde nanocell at gmail.com
Mon May 10 22:41:45 EDT 2010

It depends on what you like. Houdini runs great on most, if not any, linux
distro. I have used it on Ubuntu, Gentoo, and CentOS without troubles.

Ubuntu is a good choice for the average desktop user. It has a large
application repository with a variety of applications; large user base so
help is easy to find, etc. I would recommend it as a starting point anyone.
Once you feel at home with Ubuntu you may decide to be adventurous and
explore other linux flavours and find something else that you like (my
choice is Gentoo).

Good luck :)

CheerZ,
Van Aarde.

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Alex Czetwertynski <
alex at franktheplumber.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm thinking of installing a flavor of Linux on a laptop I might get to run
> Houdini in what seems to be its most native environment.
>
> Is there any recommendation as to what the best distribution might be to
> run
> Houdini?  I know Ubuntu runs great on macs and I have used Houdini at
> SideFX
> Santa Monica on it, but just want to make sure
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Van Aarde Krynauw

VFX Pipeline TD at Dr D Studios