[Sidefx-houdini-list] getting a local space for a transforming object

Andrew D Lyons tstexture at gmail.com
Sun May 9 00:07:38 EDT 2010

Hiya,

Yep - I have made a suite of SOPs based on this approach already.
Unfortunately they require me to eyeball the model in order to find two
points that are colinear with the desired up vector and two points that are
co-linear with the desired N vector so I can define a basis from which to
pull the inverse transform. With some irregular models, finding those points
can be kind of time consuming and error prone. I also want to be able to put
the system in a foreach loop to process large numbers of models in
preparation for DOPs. For these reasons I've been looking into automatic
systems. An oriented bounding box based system was promising for certain
models, but is prone to flipping with many models - assuming you can work
out how to get around the continual topology changes when rotating the
object being bound - so I've just abandoned that approach. This new paper
looks promising. Because the company I work for is going to throw all my
tools away when it closes soon I'm not undertaking any major development
projects at this point and am trying to get SESI to do it :) - but while I'm
waiting, there are some SOPs in 10.5 that will allow me to cobble together a
quick otl that will get me part of the way towards an implementation of this
system...

Also - someone told me there was an OBJ in 10.5 that does this out of the
box. Will check that on Monday...

Cheers