[Sidefx-houdini-list] my sop solver tool... making the sop solver easier than the for each sop!

Robert Kelly isstuff at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 02:27:38 EDT 2010

Hey Peeps!

I am releasing my sop-solver-tool, making the sop solver easier than
the for each sop!

http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=695&versionid=695

No help no example files but it could be a while till I get around to
those so i thought i should let the world have it sooner rather than
later.

The basic work flow is like this...

In sops you have the geometry that is the first frame state, plug this
into the first input. next press the button "Make New Sop Solver
Feedback" this purple colored node will be the top of the feedback
loop providing the geometry from the previous frame. the sops that you
place between the feedback node and the second input are applied each
frame. going back to frame one after changing the feedback loop will
make the cached geometry recook again. Careful not to select or
otherwise make the feedback sops display when you are trying to
simulate the sop-solver-tool otherwise it will not feedback the
geometry until you return to the first frame and only display the
sop-solver-tool or any node after it.

Any changes you make to the geometry in the feedback loop should be
small because this will happen each frame and large movements will
rapidly send your geometry far.

A simple example is to get a poly sphere with a frequency of 9 and
then pipe it into the first input of the sop-solver-tool. Next press
the button "Make New Sop Solver Feedback" this purple colored node
will be the top of the feedback loop providing the geometry from the
previous frame. then after the feedback sop add a mountain sop with a
very subtle height amount, followed by a smooth with 1 iteration.
select and display the sop solver and hit play. it should bulge out
over time. This is a simple task that doesn't do much more than what
could be done with regular sops but i will leave that for you to
discover, until I get around to making example files.

Robert Kelly
isstuff at gmail.com