[Sidefx-houdini-list] DIST point sop local variable?

Dan Bethell dan at pawfal.org
Fri Mar 12 00:18:13 EST 2010

On 12/03/2010, at 4:05 PM, David McBride wrote:
> Distance to intersection from the Ray operation.
>
> Seems strange,  how can you intersect an operation? What is the ray
> operation?

I think you mean the Ray operator (aka the Ray Sop).
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini10.0/nodes/sop/ray

You can use it to project points from one piece of geometry onto
another. If you toggle on the "Point Intersection Distance" parameter
it will add a float[1] point attribute called dist (accessible through
the $DIST local variable) to the output geometry which contains the
intersection distance for each point.

cheers,
dan