[Sidefx-houdini-list] point ... normals?

Ivan DeWolf ivan at martian-labs.com
Thu Mar 11 20:38:51 EST 2010

query them in what context? python? vex? SOPs? HDK?

Houdini doesn't normally save vertex normals, they can be compputed as
the cross product of the polygon edges, but you can write arbitrary
attribs to vertices, including normals. Accessing them depends on the
context in which you are trying to access them. an attribcreate SOP
might be what you want, if you're looking for HDK access, you can
access vertices through the polygons, if you want to access them in
VEX, you'll have to promote them...

you might want to unique your points (using a facet SOP)

Quoting "katrin schmid" <Katisss at gmx.de>:

> hi,
> is there any way to query the actual
> vertice normals? I would like to write them
> to a custom file format which does not handle oint normals.
> Thanks,
> katrin
> --
> GMX DSL: Internet, Telefon und Entertainment für nur 19,99 EUR/mtl.!
> http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl02

Perfection is achieved when nothing else can be removed
-Yvon Chouinard