[Sidefx-houdini-list] macs and Houdini and disk partitions

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 18:27:34 EDT 2010

On 28 July 2010 06:08, Larry Giunta <larry at gcreativestudios.com> wrote:

> Main question is should we choose Mac OS extended (Journaled ) or
> straight Mac OS extended??
>
> I'm seeing some posts indicating that choosing "journaled" may
> confine us to "read only" when mounted on the Linux system  ... or
> possibly limit
> our flexibility in other ways??
>
> Just wondering if anyone has any experience they can share regarding
> any negative issues we might encounter.

We've run a cross-mounting spiderweb between linux boxes and macs without
any drama. Journaled HFS+ RAIDs exported via NFS to linux boxes.. Perhaps
the restriction you're seeing is referring to when mounting the HFS+ volume
directly on the linux box, as opposed to an NFS mount? Which would make more
sense.

I'm not a guru on these things, but I think you can turn journalling off if
need be anyway.. so if you've external drives that need to be mounted
directly on a linux box switch off journalling first while it's plugged into
a mac.

References to HFS+ journalled not working on linux on the net seem to be
fairly dated... might be worth doing some tests..

Cheers,
r.