[Sidefx-houdini-list] macs and Houdini and disk partitions

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Tue Jul 27 16:08:26 EDT 2010

Apologies for branching off this tread.

We're just setting up a Mac pro to run Houdini and we're dropping it
on a small network with a few Linux systems also running Houdini.

We added a few extra internal drives to the Mac system ( mainly for
rendering and sharing Houdini data ) and we're wondering what the
best option for formating these drives would be so they interact
smoothly with our other Linux systems.

Main question is should we choose Mac OS extended (Journaled ) or
straight Mac OS extended??

The goal is to be able to mount these partitions on the Linux systems
( and vice versa ) so we can, for example, render on the Linux
systems and
source textures, hip file etc from the Mac ... and then save the
final renders back to the Mac partitions.  Basically, using NFS, be
able to use these Mac partitions on our small network the same way we
currently share data between all of our linux ext3 partitions.

I'm seeing some posts indicating that choosing "journaled" may
confine us to "read only" when mounted on the Linux system  ... or
possibly limit
our flexibility in other ways??

Just wondering if anyone has any experience they can share regarding
any negative issues we might encounter.

Thanks for any help.

Larry