[Sidefx-houdini-list] Ubuntu, macs and Houdini

Graham Thompson captainhammy at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 22:25:04 EDT 2010

Yeah you definitely see a lot of places who mention in their job
descriptions that experience with linux is a big plus.  Running all
your pipeline and shot commands through a text terminal can be quite
the shock to people who have used Windows all their life.  That's one
of the things I like about OS X is that it's based on unix and
functions fairly similar to your linux distro except it's a lot more
hidden with Apples GUI all over the top.  You can still file up the
terminal and use it just like you would linux.  The directory
structure is very similar and you get all the lovely terminal
commands.  Personally that's how I use it for for all my Houdini and
work related things.  I have lots of environment variables for paths,
script directories and whatnot setup and I use it to write code just
like I would with vim through my terminal on Ubuntu.  Unless you are
going to be a system admin type person, in my opinion when they ask
for linux experience/knowledge they are really just looking for  the
ability to competently function in a terminal setting.  Can you
navigate directories, create folders, move and delete files.  Can you
run scripts and functions to setup shots and publish assets.  Shell
scripting can also be useful.  If you are comfortable doing all the
stuff then its super easy to get a person going in any unix based
environment.  If  OS X didn't have the terminal available in all
honesty I'd have my computer back double or triple booted and spend
95% of my time in linux just because that's the way I like to work.