[Sidefx-houdini-list] network bgeo generation vs local

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Tue Jul 20 16:59:11 EDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 04:47 PM, Francois Duchesneau wrote:
> I still don't understand why it takes longer to bake on the network vs
> local + copy time. I wonder if it were possible for Houdini to do the bgeo
> generation in a tmp folder locally and copy the file after it's generated.

How the file is written is also a factor in how long it takes to write.
If the file is written in smaller chunks, or it jumps around to
different locations in the file (to fill out a scanline lookup-table,
for example), then it'll produce a lot more IO OPs. High performance
RAID arrays can handle huge amounts of IO Ops, but generally speaking
desktops and desktop drives can't, and writing over a network adds even
more latency to the operation. The software that implements the file
transfer can also introduce a lot of latency, if it decides to wait on
certain IO OPs to complete before proceeding.

For hip files, there is the environment variable HOUDINI_BUFFEREDSAVE,
which buffers the entire file into memory first, and then writes it out
in one operation (which is likely split into management chunks by the
OS). This takes the IO Op latency out of the equation. But it doesn't
influence the saving of other files.

Cheers,
M.