[Sidefx-houdini-list] network bgeo generation vs local

houdini houdini at retrovertigo.nl
Tue Jul 20 16:17:46 EDT 2010

  Hi Micheal,

I suppose pixar is using something gigabit+-ish for network? My network here is
fairly heterogeneous, all nics are gigabit speed (and so is the switch) but the
harddisk are sata and old ata's and the server is firewalled and has a p3 cpu.
Far from optimal. I certainly believe that with the right hardware the speed
difference between local and network disappears.

@Francois: you could let the IT guy tinker with MTU settings, that might help
speeding up network traffic. The default is 1500 which is nice for the usual
small packages travelling over the network but not for big files.