[Sidefx-houdini-list] unpremultiplied rendering?

Larry Giunta larry at gcreativestudios.com
Mon Jul 19 12:36:30 EDT 2010

I think I'd agree with this. If the ROP option were easy to implement
it would probably be a nice option.
But the COP method is pretty straight forward ... and I can't think
of many times when I don't run
a final delivery through some bit of compositing. If only just to
combine a few passes. I think it's a
bit cleaner to drop this before the final output. But having a choice
to render this way directly would not be a bad thing
if it's an easy feature to incorporate.

One way or another I do think it should ( and thankfully is )
something that can be done in Houdini.
Sure there are situations when you can deal with the final compositor
or editor directly. But there are many times
when they are buried dead on the client and you may never get a
chance to interact with them.
( until they tell your client that your files were prepared
incorrectly).

In addition, there are certain automated/realtime broadcast systems
that pop up lower 3rd violator graphics
( coming next , etc) that type of thing. And for these kind of
applications the client will usually need the final animation
delivered a very specific way
..... and typically unpremultiplied is one or the requests.

Larry