[Sidefx-houdini-list] ATI 5xxx series graphics card experiences (Win7)

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Wed Jul 7 16:29:13 EDT 2010

 (Resending with clearer subject line to hopefully elicit some responses...)

Hi guys,

I know this has been beaten to death in the past, but anyone having problems (or good luck..) with the new ATI 5xxx series GPUs running Houdini on Windows 7?

Generally I stick to NVidia cards, but I want to get a new laptop that supports DirectX 11 (for future-proofing), and the ATI 5000 series (5730 specifically on the laptop I am looking at) are the only affordable DX11 mobile GPU's out (not sure if the NVidia Fermi chips have shipped yet- but they likely won't be cheap...).

In my research (Forums/Odforce/etc.) it seems that the older ATI cards on XP had some driver issues with Houdini but were getting better and I am wondering if the 5000 series cards have the OpenGL for Houdini ironed out.

Thanks for any information/insight.

Cheers,
Craig Hoffman