[Sidefx-houdini-list] Newer ATI cards any better with Houdini?

malexander malexander at sidefx.com
Tue Jan 12 23:29:30 EST 2010

craigleehoffman at aol.com wrote:
> So, is it therefore pretty safe to get an ATI card for a Windows only machine?
> (I always found it weird that Side Effects 'partnered' with ATI on things, but Houdini users always seemed to curse ATI cards...Of course, maybe the workstation ATI cards were fine...)
> Thanks,
> Craig

I'm a little hesitant to say 'yes' simply because the drivers always
seem to take a dive after I do, but several users seem to be working
with ATI cards on Windows alright. The one post I read that can help
selection sluggishness is here:

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15784

With a laptop, driver updates are generally done through the laptop
manufacturer, so if I were buying one, I'd check to see how frequently
they post updates. Could make a big difference.

On an unrelated note, ATI cards have been very stable on the Mac lately,
while Nvidia had some serious issues (which have been resolved).
Recommending a card these days is almost like trying to forecast the
weather :)

Cheers,
M.