[Sidefx-houdini-list] Newer ATI cards any better with Houdini?

Mark Alexander malexander at sidefx.com
Tue Jan 12 20:30:36 EST 2010

craigleehoffman at aol.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I remember that in the past ATI graphics cards (standard inexpensive cards, not Workstation cards...) were generally frowned upon by Houdini users due to fairly lame OpenGL drivers when compared to NVidia GPUs- but has that changed at all in recent history?  Are more recent ATI GPU's reasonably solid with Houdini?

They're a lot better in Windows, but Nvidia is still far ahead on Linux.
ATI's Linux drivers are not as stable, though they have been getting
better (catalyst 9.12 has managed to improve my uptime on Linux to weeks
rather than a day or so). ATI cards are receiving more attention from
SESI now that some of the more serious OpenGL problems have been addressed.

Cheers,
M.