[Sidefx-houdini-list] Newer ATI cards any better with Houdini?

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Tue Jan 12 16:32:04 EST 2010

Hi all,

I remember that in the past ATI graphics cards (standard inexpensive cards, not Workstation cards...) were generally frowned upon by Houdini users due to fairly lame OpenGL drivers when compared to NVidia GPUs- but has that changed at all in recent history?  Are more recent ATI GPU's reasonably solid with Houdini?

I ask because I need a new laptop and only ATI has DirectX11 cards (which feature a lot more new hardware capabilities likeTesselation, etc.) coming out now for laptops.  I would like this laptop to be useable for a couple years, so don't want to buy one with only a DirectX10 card when software is likely to come out over the next year that can take advantage of the new GPU capabilities (which will someday end up in OpenGL too).

Thanks for any help,
Craig Hoffman