[Sidefx-houdini-list] maya .ma SOP

craigleehoffman at aol.com craigleehoffman at aol.com
Mon Feb 22 15:56:14 EST 2010

I agree with Rangi here but one thing his suggestions don't take into account is getting animated skeletal meshes out of Maya and into Houdini for some sort of tweak-  and then BACK into Maya for perhaps another animation (rigged skeleton) tweak.  This is the sort of thing I haven't seen anyone do well and is usually the driving factor behind wanting to do high level translator plug-ins.  Is that the case here?  Or is it perhaps a need to better preserver sub-frame animation accuracy like for sub-frame motion blur that the "geometry object per frame" approach doesn't preserve well?

Just be aware like Rangi suggests that many times in a Production Environment different departments working on different projects (or even the same project!!) have different versions of the operating system, hardware, drivers, 3D software or plug-ins installed (due to some dependency they need that others may not) and well-intended efforts like this end up having lots of problems working for everyone.  What's worse is when they do work, but the results end up slightly different and you don't realize there is a problem until trying to do the final render or composite and then you have to re-do a lot of work.

>From my experience it's best to finalize or publish certain assets (like animating models) as Rangi suggests so you are assured that everyone is working from the EXACT same thing.  There is also the added benefit of not having to constantly wait for the import calculations to do their thing when opening a file (or when rendering perhaps) or having to purchase more Maya licenses to allow the plug-in to work for everyone, etc.

Cheers,
Craig