[Sidefx-houdini-list] hardware for houdini

Peter Bowmar pbowmar at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:55:46 EST 2010

Agreed with Gene, Quadro usually isn't worth it. However, test before
you buy! We found that we needed Quadro for 2D work, not 3D (not
Houdini) for example.

 Also, if you're in a training centre, you don't need bleeding edge
CPUs unless you think you can't buy new ones for 3-4 years. Except for
some especially slow fluid sim/PBR things in Houdini that need all the
horsepower, you're likely not needing super speed. We usually buy a
generation behind (we're on whatever was before i7, it's all so
confusing now) and it's fine and saved us many thousands of $$.

Cheers,

Peter B