[Sidefx-houdini-list] maya .ma SOP

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 22 00:07:14 EST 2010

The idea sounds great.. save a step of exporting and win! But the reality I
think is different. The stage going between Maya to Houdini in a production
is usually a lock step, where some sort of publishing process should
happen.. it should be versioned, documented in some way, put on a drive in
the right place with the right name.

The format that gets used between the apps is best, in my opinion, to be a
snug fit. A .ma file can hold such variety of assets.. hierarchies,
materials, stuff that uses weird plug-ins.  If you're sending a deforming
object, a format to handle a baked down deforming object is going to be less
trouble. It won't hold a license.. it won't break when a plug-in is updated,
it'll typically be uber fast...

The main options these days for the format would be.. old-skool sequence of
.obj files on disk (good for changing topology anything... ), fbx files
(good for scene heirachies..) obj + mdd pairing (good for deforming, same
topology single object).

When the procedures of exporting (nah.. publishing!) from maya and importing
(updating!) in houdini becomes highly automated and pipelined, then stuff
get's very predicable and doesn't take time out of the operators days...

My 2c.
r.

On 22 February 2010 14:48, katrin schmid <Katisss at gmx.de> wrote:

> hi,
> the idea was more about reading files and animation from maya
> without converting files.
> Regards,
> katirn
>
> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> > Datum: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:42:19 +0800
> > Von: Garman Lists <garman_lists at sbcglobal.net>
> > An: sidefx-houdini-list at sidefx.com
> > CC: Garman Herigstad <garman.herigstad at gmail.com>
> > Betreff: Re: [Sidefx-houdini-list] maya .ma SOP
>

> > I understand why you want the Maya deformers.  They are based on the
> > non-linear deformers from Wavefront's "Model" program.
> >
> > There's a great bend lesson in the CMI VFX vex sops vol 1
> >

> http://www.cmivfx.com/productpages/product.aspx?name=Houdini_VEX_SOPS_Vol_1
> >

> > -Garman
> >

> > Ivan DeWolf wrote:
> > > I haven't heard of anybody doing this. I considered doing something
> like
> > this,
> > > it seems likely to be a difficult if not impossible trick to compile
> > > an HDK dso that Houdini loads that also includes whatever libraries
> > > Maya needs to open an .ma and deform geometry.
> > >
> > > I thought it would be the right way to do it, but I never had the time
> > > to tinker, and I had already realized you couldn't make significant
> > > income selling it. So I just gave up without trying.
> > >
> > > It might be possible to compile an inbetween DSO- the HDK .so would
> > > link to it, and Maya would link to it, and you might be able to
> > > compile it with a compatible subset of libraries...
> > >
> > > seems like a worthy thing, if you can do it.

> > that?

> Sicherer, schneller und einfacher. Die aktuellen Internet-Browser -
> jetzt kostenlos herunterladen! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/atbrowser

Rangi Sutton                             Kanuka Studio Pty Ltd
rangi at kanuka.com.au               http://www.kanuka.com.au/
Studio +61 (0)7 3139 1040         35 Dover St. Albion
Mobile +61 (0)4 1521 1280         QLD 4010 Australia