[Sidefx-houdini-list] Houdini performance on Windows 7 vs Linux

François Duchesneau sidefx at trinix.ca
Mon Feb 8 22:55:15 EST 2010

I've got an Intel Core 2 Duo. Maybe that's why.

In my case I cannot use Ubuntu anyway on that machine because it's a
laptop that seems to have an issue with the video card driver because it
has that annoying noise all the time that I cannot get rid of. I like to
work with Linux but I hate to install it because there's always
something not working. I was going to switch to Mac when somebody
suggested me to try Win7.

François

Frederic Servant wrote:
> cpb, François, on what kind of CPU are you running your tests?
> --
> Fred
>
> 2010/2/7 François Duchesneau <sidefx at trinix.ca>:
>
>> I installed it yesterday and compared a render and a fluid simulation.
>> The sim was a bit faster than on Ubuntu and the render was just a little
>> bit faster. I'm very impressed about that.
>>
>> I haven't finished to install all my other applications but so far
>> everything works nicely. The only thing that bugs me is the new
>> "improved" Windows Explorer where the lines height in detail view are
>> way to large. Anyway, not much to complain about :)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> François
>>
>> Joel E wrote:
>>
>>> the only thing i really miss on windows is the ability to segfault houdini
>>> from a shell like i can do in linux when it freezes up. maybe i am missing
>>> something and this is possible however... if so please enlighten me.
>>> i have just installed win7 on an older machine and so far that is running
>>> apprentice fine, not too sure about speedgain as everything is pretty slow
>>> on it compared to machines at work though. everything seems to work stable
>>> though.
>>> j