[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT. Workstation Hardware Qs

Rangi Sutton rangi.sutton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 7 20:12:42 EST 2010

On 6 February 2010 15:45, JUSTIN REEVES <jreeves16 at msn.com> wrote:

> These machines are for use in a software(GibbsCAM) that had some weird
> issue of not using more than 2 gig of ram a patch moved that up to 3Gig, and
> the 2010 release with Win7  I believe fixed the issue, but until that
> upgrade is purchased the added ram wont help much for this particular 3D
> software, strange.
>
> This review is why I leaned towards Quadro, and a Fx580 is only $180, its
> that or a Geforce9800GT?, or a equal priced GT2##
> but with this review and the Nvidia vs Quadro info page do you still think
> the Geforce is a better way to go? look at the links below, and give me your
> opinion.

Hmm.. yep, an FX580 isn't that much more than a geForce.. but that review
talks about a 4800.. looking at prices here between the cards compared,
there is a 6x price difference... ie. The Quadro card costs nearly $3k AUD,
where the last workstation we built in total cost < $2k AUD.

Spinning polys too slowly is seldom the problem here.. it's more proc speed
and RAM. Sometimes we've had troubles with points with attributes on them,
but I think that's a recent quirk with houdini + current nvidia drivers for
geForce. Certainly, not worth over doubling the price of the workstations to
fix.

It's all pretty confusing! But I gave up on quadros a while back and haven't
looked back.

Cheers,
r.