[Sidefx-houdini-list] OT. Workstation Hardware Qs

JUSTIN REEVES jreeves16 at msn.com
Sat Feb 6 00:45:10 EST 2010

These machines are for use in a software(GibbsCAM) that had some weird issue of not using more than 2 gig of ram a patch moved that up to 3Gig, and the 2010 release with Win7  I believe fixed the issue, but until that upgrade is purchased the added ram wont help much for this particular 3D software, strange.

This review is why I leaned towards Quadro, and a Fx580 is only $180, its that or a Geforce9800GT?, or a equal priced GT2##
but with this review and the Nvidia vs Quadro info page do you still think the Geforce is a better way to go? look at the links below, and give me your opinion.

Quote from review:
"A Quadro FX 4800 moves up to 10 times faster when running workstation
applications than the GeForce GTX 280(its Geforce equivelant). This leads swiftly to a clear and
 inescapable conclusion: there's no good reason to use a GeForce
graphics card for workstation applications. It just doesn't pay.

Review:::  http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quadro-fx-4800,2258-10.html

Quadro vs Geforce:::  http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&ved=0CAkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nvidia.com%2Fobject%2Fquadro_geforce.html&ei=tgBtS6yYGoyANvSr2dAE&usg=AFQjCNESkCnpBGLD_XkAyUuFJ4Ky6W-D_g

Thanks again.
Justin Reeves